10 Reasons Why You Should Care About Social Mediaon February 15, 2012
Most businesses have two important questions on their minds: “What is social media?” and “Why should I care?” To truly understand and embrace social media and the social web, Time To Get Social created an awesome video entitled “What the Hell is Social Media?” to highlight the answers to these questions in the most unique and engaging method.
Social Media Video Highlights
What is social media?
Social media is “an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos, and audio.” In other words, it is a simple way to describe the millions of conversations people are having with each other around the globe every day, week, month and year.
Why should I care about social media?
- Social media is now the top online activity, beating porn and personal email.
- Because 2/3 of the World Wide Web population visits social networking websites.
- All the time spent on social networking websites is growing at 3 times the overall Internet rate – accounting for 10% of all time spent on the Internet.
- The online and social media world has become the most influential source in helping consumers make their purchasing decisions.
- Millions of people are constantly creating content for the social web.
- The next 3 billion consumers will access the Internet from a mobile device such as a smartphone.
- Facebook is now the operating system of the social web.
- Because Twitter believes it will have 1 billion users by 2012.
- One way of marketing is no longer an viable option.
- Because almost in all cases, social media is free.